The stone building was built in 1875 through the efforts of Baron Mollinary, and it was the most grandiose building of the time in Karlobag.
Baške Oštarije lie on the Velebit, at 924 n N/V in the western part of Lika, in the micro-region of the Lika basin of moun- tainous Croatia, at 18 km from Karlobag. The locality bore the name Oštarije until 1900 when it was changed into Baške Oštarije.
The monument dedicated to the building of the Karlobag– Gospić Road across the Velebit, the Cube (Kubus, Ura) on four spheres is situated on the Oštarije Saddle or Stara vrata, at 927 m above sea level from where the view extends over Karlobag...
n memory of the building of the Knežić– Kekićeve road built from 1844 to 1851. An interesting fact to mention is that people called this source the source of fertility.